Thursday, February 14, 2008

OK So I Can't Crochet


My friend Doris had a brainstorm awhile back. Oh yeah she really did! She had been talking about maybe starting a knitting and crocheting group together at our Eagles club. The idea was that anyone who knew how or wanted to learn how to crochet and knit to meet once a week to do that. So now we're meeting on Tuesday nights to make baby hats and booties to donate to one of our charities which is Touching Little Lives.
Before we started doing this I was telling Doris that I use to crochet all the time but it's been over 25 years since I've done it. Oh I use to make hats, afghans, scaves, doll clothes and all kinds of stuff. So I'm thinking to myself that I could probably whip out a bunch of baby hats and booties in no time.

WRONG!




My first attempt at crocheting. Keep in mind that I haven't done this in over 25 years. This is suppose to be a baby hat. I tried to follow the pattern but had a little trouble. (obviously) What's up with that knobby-thing on top? I have no idea how I did that. Well if you turn it sideways it could be a bra cup.

This is my second hat. It's still not right or maybe I'm not right. Notice that the knobby-thing isn't as bad. I think it'll go to the grandkids doll named Naked Baby. The girls haven't put clothes on the doll in 2 years and they just like calling her Naked Baby. Go figure.

Now I'm getting the hang of it. Using a different pattern helped. Thanks to a little internet research I can understand the crochet lingo. Sort of.

Now I'm on a roll. Getting better all the time. I learned how to make a pom-pom (again)


These were suppose to be booties. Some of the patterns I had, I couldn't figure out what the destructions (instructions) were, so I made some mitts instead. They're so cute.




So I try to crochet booties again and it just didn't turn out. Then I found this baby sock pattern which I like better than booties. Eat your heart out Heather, you're not the only one in the family that can make socks now. Not bad for making one for the first time. One is all I made because I ran out of yarn. My next challenge is to make a pair of socks.........both the same size.


3 comments:

Yvonne said...

I remember the princess dress you made. Sure it was made out of (ugly) scrap yarn but I sure felt pretty wearing it.

Chasteen News Updates said...

Awww the booties are cute! I am lucky if I can even finish a blanket. I have 2 started from ummm a long time ago. I think it is a great idea, ya'll came up with. Mom tried to post on your blog, but she made a boo boo. Maybe she will try to repost..LOL. Thank you for your kind words, about my loss of Trouble. Every kind word makes my days easier..Thanks. May see ya'll soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey lady your doing great. I love the mittens and the sock. You do great. Keep it up. Doris